sexing adult Sebastopol geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Helen in the Desert, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    I have two and would like to know if they are a pair. One is quite a bit larger and more aggressive but otherwise they look very much a like. I would say the larger one out weighs the smaller one by a good 10lbs. They were hatched out of the same clutch last May.

Thanks all!

2. You could get a more accurate answer if you added some pics.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That is a REALLY big weight difference, maybe one of them is stunted?
    This time of year the males are getting a little (or a lot) aggressive, hissing, and craning their necks. They come between you and the females, and almost seem to be telling them not to talk to you. If both birds freely approach you and are very vocal, you may have two males.

4. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Pictures would help a lot more to see the two that way everyone can give you a better idea of what you have with the two... [​IMG]

5. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    I will try and post some tomorrow, thanks!

6. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Have you tried to vent sex them? I tried with mine when they were goslings and couldn't tell anything, but I did it again when they were 9 months old and it was shockingly easy.

7. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    What about when they are 11 months old or older? Would it still be easy? Where can I find a picture tutorial on how to do it?

8. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    I learned from watching this video from Metzer Farms: http://www.metzerfarms.com/SexingVideo.cfm?CustID=1371423

I tried it multiple times when they were goslings but I couldn't tell a thing. It was incredibly easy at 9 months. If it's a male you're going to know, a goose penis is quite large, and when I vent sexed mine it popped right out. (yeah, go ahead and laugh at that, I did. I about fell over backwards with the goose in my lap the first time it happened!)

Here's a picture of a goose penis so you are prepared! http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/images/goose penis.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by