Sexing Advice

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roostersandhens, Jan 4, 2014.

1. First of all, no I am not asking for advice! :) On this thread you can post pictures or post anything to help people tell the gender of their chickens.

[​IMG]
    Please post some advice! [​IMG]

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I think part of the problem is chicken newbies don't know the vocabulary. We talk about wattles and saddle feathers and hackles and sickles and they have no idea what we're talking about!

Here's the basic anatomy of a rooster: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/parts_of_a_chicken-2x2.jpg

Hint: Boys have very long sickle feathers, saddle feathers and pointy hackles. Hens don't. Roosters have spurs, though this wouldn't be a reliable sexing characteristic for a while.

The comb and wattles (red part above the beak and below) turn red much earlier in a cockerel (boy chicken) than a pullet (girl chicken). However, different breeds develop at different rates, so you may have a pullet look reddish faster in one breed than a cockerel in another.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Feather sexing in very young chicks (like 2-3 days old) is reliable in some breeds, but not so much in others. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Feather_sexing_practice.html This is a great link for learning the differences between the two.

I'm not sure which breeds are all accurate with it. I've had good luck with french black copper marans, and rumor has it that barred rocks also can be feather sexed, but I don't have practical experience with them.

4. I tried feather sexing 3 mix breed chicks once (at 3 days old). They are now old enough to clearly know their genders. Well, their names are Puff, Scribble and Pip. So I guessed by feather sexing that Puff was a girl. And she is. I guessed Scribble was a male, and he is. I also guessed that Pip was a male and he is! :) So, it seemed successful [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by