Sexing Ameracauna Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CinnamonQueen12, Jul 24, 2011.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I hatched 2 ameracauna chicks and one golden sex link chicks roughly 4 weeks ago. One of the Ameracaunas has a deformity, so we were planning on keeping her, but we dont want any roosters in our flock. I noticed that the golden buff's tail is as long as the other ameracauna's tail, and I know for sure that the golden buff is a boy. I was wondering if tail length can be used to sex chicks. Also, since I can't find my other posts about my deformed chick, does anyone know any way to try to straiten this deformity out?

[​IMG]

This chick is a little smaller than the other 2 but I think her/his tail is a lot smaller, so hopefully its a female. Can anyone help with the sexing and fixing her foot? Thanks in advance.

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am new to chicks but I have studied up on them. I have had Ameracauna chicks in the past and I personally thin they are VERY hard to sex. I had two "hens" all of a sudden try started crowing with small tails! Usually if the stand up straight and never really relax their tails like hens do they could be roosters. Also the had bigger combs and the hens lay down when hold them usually a rooster will stand up and look around and stuff like that.

Hope this helps at all. Can't really help with the deformity so sorry, good luck! [​IMG]

P.s. If you could post some pictures of your chicks maybe we could give you some sexing advice! [​IMG]

3. California Gurl

California Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Can you show a close up of the comb? I heard that some EE can be sex by their combs. If it has three rows of bumps then it most likely will be a lil Roo.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    EE's are different from Ameracuana's. If bought from a hatchery or feed store they are EE's no matter what they called them. If bought from a breeder I would hope they are selling the chicks labeled correctly, same with buying hatching eggs.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like the leg is twisted at the hock joint to me. Most leg issues like that cannot be fixed, unfortunately.

Tails are not the best indicator of sex in a bird. Below are six week old Ameraucanas, first male, then female. Note comb differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by