Sexing Ameraucana chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marytoast, Jan 20, 2009.

1. marytoast

marytoast Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    My chicks have not hatched yet but I was wondering if you can tell the sex of the ameraucana chicks by the feathers. I am very new to all of this. I know some people vent sex. I am not comfortable with that, from what I understand you have to be well trained to do it. [​IMG]

2. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Songster

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I haven't found a way yet. I just wait until they are older. Sorry!!

3. marytoast

marytoast Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    OK thanks, I just could'nt find anthing specifically for ameraucanas. [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I haven't found a way to sex true ameraucana until they start to feather out, and then depending on what color depends on what age......

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I go with the watch and wait method of sexing mine. [​IMG]

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Songster

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    No, unfortunately the only way to sex an Ameraucana chick is to vent check and I don't do that either as I won't risk the injury.

God Bless,
    (Wheaten & Blue Wheaten Ameraucana Breeder)

7. marytoast

marytoast Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Thanks. I appreciate your input. Now I know I'll just have to wait and see. That means I'll be keeping all of them. Once my kids fall in love with the chickens I can't get rid of them. [​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ya its hard with Ameraucana you have to wait longer then any other breed I have had I did not know on mine until about 10 weeks of age.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:what injury to who??? all your doing is looking "in" lol ,, the only injury i can see is getting poo in ya eye [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    because you are actually squeezing the chick, I imagine that if you do not know what you are doing, you could cause damage to them internally. Better to not risk it.

I can usually tell mine apart by about 3 months old. Combs on males are redder, feet bigger, and starting to get shiny pointed saddle feathers in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by