Sexing Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IggiMom, May 16, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Chicks like RIR's are easy to tell pretty early on what they are because of the tiny combs and because the roos are a little bigger.

But Americaunas, is there any way to tell when they are little, like a week or two? They seem to look pretty much the same to me.

Is there a difference in feathers?

Or could I assume that the bigger ones are roos?

Thanks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's a bit early. I usually know by six weeks or so for sure, but some make me wait longer. Can't tell by feathers, really, on those unless you have a variety where the males and females are really different.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers - I was wondering this same thing this morning while hanging out with my 4 week old chooks. I have four partridge colored EE's and I've noticed that on two of them, their tail feathers hang down, almost as if they're trying to be rumpless, and on the other two, their tail feathers stick up like a hens tail. My 5th EE chick is white and it's tail sticks up like a hens tail too.

I did notice on my older EE's, I had one white suspected roo (that did indeed turn out to be a very randy roo) his comb was very red, where the girls combs were more light orange color.

4. speckledhen

Here are some photos of Blue Ameraucanas at 5-6 weeks old, first female then male.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Cynthia, thank you very much.

I am studying the photos.

Can you tell me if the males are usually a little bigger (assuming same hatch)?

Catherine

6. speckledhen

Well, sometimes they are and sometimes, there is little difference at that age.

7. sbs

sbs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Pasadena,Ca.
    My 5 week old EE has a pea comb that is a pinky orange , should I assume this is a roo at this point?

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

No, not necessarily. Is it just one thin ridge that's pink? If so, it may be a girl, I had one just like that. If it's reddish (not just a little orangey pink) and has all 3 lines showing, probably a roo.

6 week hen that had me wondering until about week 8:

[​IMG]

Her brother at 6 weeks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by