sexing and decisions

only one lay

Songster
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
litchfield mi
Flock started as 11 chicks. Have nine left. All arrived 4/25 Now at full grown size. All from tsc bins Only one is laying so I increased my knowledge.It wolud appear that eight of the potential egg producers are of the male gender. How do I be sure to increase hens without being over run by roos?

If you are going to order chicks, then order pullets only. They have a 90% accuracy rating which would ensure you have at least 9 out of 10 being hens. If you buy them locally, buy from a knowledgeable supplier. When you buy straight run chicks they are usually 70% or more roosters. Study the breed that you are looking to get to determine if there is markers to look for to tell hens from roosters. Sex-link chicks are easiest to tell. Barred Rock and others also have tell tale traits to look for. Hatching your own is a crap shoot.

It was well worth the extra money to order sexed chicks - I ordered 10 from MPC and they were all pullets
smile.png

I understand this very well. Im March I got 5 OEGB chicks 4 hens, 1 rooster. I feel in love! Decided I wanted more so I went to the local chicken guy in April. bought 8 BR chicks, 2 BSL chicks, 1 RIR chick, 1 RSL chick. He said they were all girls he sexed and seperated the chicks. The 2 BSL chicks were the last I picked and the only girls in the batch. Every other bird he sold me were Roo's. I still think he did it on purpose, but who knows (if you they are not sure of the sex they should just say so). Anyways went back to him often, he is where we were buying eggs, chicken feed ect. When we realized they were all Roo's my husband went and told him and asked if we could return some and switch 2 roo's for 1 hen. He said no but he would take all the Roo's back (for free) if we wanted, that he has alot of people that buy them to eat after he processes them (like I am dumb enough to raise a bird that I paid for, feed it for a few months then return to the person so they can sell it again). Live and learn I guess, from now on I will just hatch my own.

Quote:
That guy was seriously, seriously dishonest.

You have the option of sex-linked hybrids. Some are egg machines. I think others are pretty much what any heritage breed would be. Maybe they have a little heterosis thrown in for some extra vigor.

Steve

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan to change the point of purchase to get exactly what I'm looking for.
To save myself heartache can anyone reccomend where to purchase. Mail or pickup is fine if I can trust the supplier is the issue for me.

Theres several excellent hatcheries that ship thousands and thousands of chickies every year. McMurray, Ideal....theres more that I cant remember their names. Ive personally used McMurray for years and have been extremely pleased. Many people on this website have used several different hatcheries with mostly very good experiences.

You can order sexed pullets from the hatchery of your choice, but keep in mind one thing. With the exception of the sex link chickens a hatchery makes mistakes too. Most promise about a 90% chance that they got it right.

Back
Top Bottom