Sexing And Feeding Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by flyingdragon, Jan 3, 2010.

1. flyingdragon

flyingdragon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    I have 30 pearl french guineas that are seven weeks old. I've read that males and females make different sounds but the female can mimic the male. Having so many, it's hard to tell which one is making which sound. They are just beginning to make what I think are adult calls, although, they are still chirping like keets. I have noticed that some of them have three white outer flight feathers and some don't or at least there are not as noticeable. Is this a dinstinguishing characteristic between the sexes? They are all pearl colored. Also, I had them on 30% game bird starter for the first six weeks. I now have them on 20% flight conditioner. The starter contained animal protein and the flight conditioner doesn't. Should I give them fish meal or mealworms to supplement their diet? Guineas and chickens are omnivores and the guineas aren't free ranging yet. They have been moved in with my chickens (four month old barred rocks) and both will be eating the same ration. I give my chicks premium bird seed (with extra black oil sunflower and safflower seed) as scratch each afternoon. The guineas don't pay any attention to it. I got white millet just for them but they only seem interested in the ration so far. They all seem to be healthy. Only a little pecking at roosting time. The rocks bully the guineas off of the top roosts. I know I have gone off topic and maybe should have posted elsewhere but I just had several questions that seemed related. Thanks for any help and being patient.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    The only way to tell male from female other than which lays eggs [​IMG] is comb and wattles of males are darker and larger. Even that is not always accurate though. The call is the best way. If a bird has 2 different noises, it's a hen. If it makes only one noise, it's a roo. I fed mine regular feed that I gave my chickens. They love any greens as treats, and will go nuts for any worms. The white you described in their coloring is just called pied, or in this case, Pied Pearl. Oh, and the chickens will not be bullying them long. It has been my experience that the guineas eventually rule the roost, and I would watch them about bullying the chickens when they are all grown up and establishing their solid peck order. I hope this helps!

3. flyingdragon

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks a lot. Chicken ration is less costly than gamebird. And i've noticed a few of my chicks have loose droppings since eating the gamebird ration. When will they be old enough to eat? I am definitely going to put some in the freezer. Had guinea for Christmas and it was superb. The price was high but I prepared my family what the future holds (more guinea, lesschicken). How many do you think is enough? I have pleny of space and am well off the main road. However, I do have neighbors. They are far enough not to bebothered by my roosters but guineas are louder.

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    If you feed them a high energy...higher protein diet, you can dispatch them 3-4 months of age...what is your protein ratio on your chicken feed?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  5. flyingdragon

Nov 22, 2009
    Presently, everybody is eating purina gamebird flight conditioner. It has 20% protein. And they are scarfing it down! Must be the cold. I'm in central NC but the temps are in the teens to thirties. It's seems like all they do is eat, poop, and squawk. Purina makes a 20% flock maintenance ration for chickens which I gave my chicks before I put the guineas in with them. Does it matter which one I use?

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    20% is 20% in my opinion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by