Sexing and reproduction?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TattooZoo, Sep 14, 2017.

1. TattooZoo

TattooZoo Just Hatched

Sep 14, 2017
    New Orleans
    Hello, yesterday we bought 6 quail from Jefferson feed. They are not sexed (cotournix quail excuse my spelling lol.) I'm wondering if there is anyway to tell the sex. Also how are they in southern climates like new orleans in the winter. They will be outside in a custom coop. Is it possible for them to live with ducks? Any advice keeping them healthy and laying would be helpful. Also once i figure out the sex. How many females to male ratio is good?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Depending on the variety a few can be color sexed. Italian and pharoah. Hens will have a speckled dotted breast. Males will have a reddish breast like a robin.

The other varieties have to be vent sexed when old enough.

I live in mo. Mine do fine In the heat and humidity of summer. And as long as they have an area they can get out of the weather with deep bedding they did fine last winter.

I don't have ducks but I wouldn't keep them together.

Feed them high quality and protein feed. Give them 14 to 16 hours a day of light and they will lay year round. I feed mine 28 percent gamebird starter all the time. What I keep over the winter I give a break from laying. As constant laying shortens their life span.

A good ratio is 1 male to 6 or 8 females.

JaeG and lomine like this.
  3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    x2 Couldn't have said it better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by