1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing and the great outdoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cami, Apr 8, 2012.

1. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    how old will my chicks be before the roosters start crowing? Mine are 5 weeks right now and im pretty sure they are all pullets, so i want to get a rooster, but i wouldent want to end up with 2 roosters and only 6 pullets.
    How old should they be when they go outside for good? Mine have all there feathers are 5 weeks old like i said before and are comfortable being outside for long periods of time. Are they ok to start living outside?

2. CrystalWho

CrystalWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    as long as it's not to cold I'm pretty sure they will be fine outside, as long as you have a good coop and proper fencing.

I'm not sure about the crowing but my guess is that my little silkie started crowing between 3 and 6 months. It may very between types of chickens I'm not sure.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard of some bantams crowing at 4 weeks old. I think the norm is several months old though.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    my chicks have been outside for about a week now, 24/7 and they are only 3 weeks old. they have had no problems at all. i just didn't keep the heat on them for the last day or 2 (in the house) before i put them outside.

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have 5-6wk old chicks outside right now. They seem to be fine (first batch outside this early due to timing with the others).

My araucana boy just started crowing at right around 4 months. I have heard that some start practicing at 2 weeks, while others wait until many more months. If you have a DOMINANT roo, the others may not crow at all. My neighbor got rid of his roo and all of a sudden, one of his *girls* started crowing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by