Sexing apprnzellers

thunderbird

Chirping
Jun 15, 2016
My appenzeller chicks are just under 1 month, wondering if any of you can help me determine their gender? (If it's even possible at this age)
. Chick A
chick B
chick C
Thanks in advance

It means drumstick diva agrees with the previous poster.

I think they're still too young to sex, but admittedly, I don't really know much about Apenzellers as a breed. But, from my own experience, crested breeds with combs that tend to stay on the smaller side are harder to sex in general. And I don't think there's any sex linking with Apenzellers that would tell one way or another? Normally with crested breeds, a messy crest is a male indicator (which is why I think #1 was singled out as a cockerel). However, that's not really that accurate on chicks as young as these. They're very pretty!

It means drumstick diva agrees with the previous poster.

I think they're still too young to sex, but admittedly, I don't really know much about Apenzellers as a breed. But, from my own experience, crested breeds with combs that tend to stay on the smaller side are harder to sex in general. And I don't think there's any sex linking with Apenzellers that would tell one way or another? Normally with crested breeds, a messy crest is a male indicator (which is why I think #1 was singled out as a cockerel). However, that's not really that accurate on chicks as young as these. They're very pretty!
thanks! I remember seeing somewhere that appenzeller chicks with white in their crest tend to be cockerels.

Size and color of the crest has nothing to do with the sex. I've raised Silver Spitzhaubens for 7 years now. They are far to young to sex with any accuracy at this age. And both sexes will get wattles in early and red combs as well. About have to wait for saddle feathers at around 3.5-4 months.

Size and color of the crest has nothing to do with the sex. I've raised Silver Spitzhaubens for 7 years now. They are far to young to sex with any accuracy at this age. And both sexes will get wattles in early and red combs as well. About have to wait for saddle feathers at around 3.5-4 months.
alright thanks for the info. Any tips on this breed? First time ive raised appenzellers

alright thanks for the info. Any tips on this breed? First time ive raised appenzellers
They can be kind of flighty, especially with people around they don't know. They are also prone to flying and roost high if wings aren't clipped. They are excellent layers of medium to large white eggs. Except in the hottest months, mine have always laid well in winter. Roosters are very attentive and respectful of their hens. I keep 1 male to 4 or 5 females to a breeder pen and have never had bare backs and heads. In fact one of my oldest rooster won't eat until his hens have eaten. If your going to breed them, the crest is the hardest thing to control. A lot of birds have to big of a crest "like a mini Polish crest". This should be culled out at every turn to ensure correct birds. They should have small, forward flipped crests. And the coloring should be evenly spangled. Not to much black not to much white, if breeding silvers. Several other colors exist as well.

Back
Top Bottom