sexing at 6 weeks and heat question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fetchdog, May 14, 2009.

1. fetchdog

fetchdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    fayal township, mn
    I have 6 chicks, 6 weeks old. They are assorted feather-footed bantams. One has a very tall, pronounced comb and the others do not. Does that mean I have one rooster and 5 hens, or is it too early to tell?

Also, I am keeping them in my quail pen while I finish the coop, which is nearly completed. I have one heat lamp in the pen which they seem to still be relying on at night. They seem to be well feathered. Are they old enough to be without heat once I move them into the coop? I live in northern minnesota, and last night it was 32 degrees F.

thanks in advance!

2. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I have 5.5 week old bantams and they have been such babies with the heat. It reads about 75 degrees and they all still huddle right under the lamp. I live in MN too and plan on putting them in the coop next weekend (hopefully it is done) and I think I might have to put their lamp out there for nights just incase of the cold nights. It isn't quite as cold here I think the lows have been in the 40's. To be on the safe side you might just want to put a lamp in there for nights until it warm up a litte more....say like JULY!!!! [​IMG] I am so ready for some warm weather

Last edited: May 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by