Sexing at 9 days?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buckaroo's wife, Mar 28, 2011.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I hatched 13 chicks on 3/19. I'm DYING to know what they are (i.e. who I can get REALLY attached to) - any tips or guidelines for telling roos from pullets? Some are really starting to feather out and some don't have as many...

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. buckaroo's wife

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Oh goodness, they are basically mutts [​IMG] I have 2 EEs, 1 BR, 1 Barnvelder, 1 BarnvelderX, and 1 welsummerX......all crossed with a white leghorn roo! They won't be easy to determine, me thinks!

4. speckledhen

You may just have to use the "Wait and See" sexing method with the crosses. Sometimes, with an EE, the pea comb on the males is very wide with all three rows of "peas" showing, whereas the females have a single ridge and the full pea comb doesn't develop till they are closer to laying age. That's all I got for ya. [​IMG]

5. buckaroo's wife

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I assumed probably wait and see would be the best method. I'm noticing that some are feathering faster than others and some have thicker legs - I know there isn't a fail safe way to tell this early. So.....I'll just love them all!

6. speckledhen

Sometimes, the pullets will get a tail much quicker than the males, but that isn't always reliable. I bet in another week, you'll start seeing signs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by