1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing 'Australian' Araucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Leeshajane, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Leeshajane

Leeshajane New Egg

Aug 4, 2015
    Australia
    Hi there, we've just got 3 Araucana (the australian ones with tails) Chickens that are 6 weeks old and we're trying to work out if we have little pullets or roos. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! I've never heard of those before... Now I want some XP. The white one looks like a pullet (so far) but the other too are kinda difficult... Could you post a close-up picture of the brown one's face? And it might still be a bit too early to tell... Maybe wait a few more weeks

3. and-roo

Okay, kinda off topic, but I have three chicks that are half silkie and half easter egger and they kinda look like these, actually! (Except off course the feathered feet) but I really like this breed, now that I've researched them just a bit...

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I love the Aussie Araucanas! :D Think they're a bit young yet to tell, nothing really screams cockerel but I would keep an eye on the blue... comb looks a little pinker than the others, but still early yet...

5. and-roo

X2. I think the blue might be a boy...

6. Leeshajane

Leeshajane New Egg

Aug 4, 2015
    Australia
    Thanks so much! I'll take some more photos tomorrow morning- its a little dark now and a second pair of hands will help to get a better shot. Hoping for 3 pullets haha!

7. Leeshajane

Leeshajane New Egg

Aug 4, 2015
    Australia
    So I've taken some more photos a bit closer up, if anyone has any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    chicken 1

[​IMG]
    chicken 1
    [​IMG]
    chicken 2
    [​IMG]
    chicken 3
    [​IMG]
    chicken 3

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I still think the only one looking suspicious is chicken 2... that one *might be* a roo, but the others still look like pullets...

9. graphicali

graphicali Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    This is very interesting as I have some araucana chicks but they are way too young to guess yet, only a couple of weeks or so.

10. PoppyLove

PoppyLove Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Hi Leeshajane. how are the chickens going? I've got a flock of aussie araucanas. I'm from northern Victoria. Nice to meet another Australian on here :)
    They are definitely very hard to sex for me. Until about 12-16 weeks I start to notice "back feathers" of the pullets start to become round tipped. Even this hasn't been 100%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by