Sexing Ayam Cemanis

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blue Eager, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    Online research with regards to this topic is either difficult to find or nonexistent. Sexing of some breeds can be determined by examining wing feathers & I believe the sex of all breeds can be determined by examining genitalia. Although the later might be necessary for some, I find it invasive & a method I would rather avoid if a less invasive alternative exists.

My theory is that the sex of this breed can be determined solely on Comb Size regardless of age. I base this on the size & mass of the roos comb as compared to other breeds. Certainly there has to be recognizable differences to include very early stages of development.

My 6 chicks were born April 6th of this year. Today is their first week anniversary. Hopefully these photos will give everyone a sense of what their combs look like in person. Each one has been banned so I can keep accurate records throughout their development. The color of their band is indicated on the photo along with corresponding numbers. I also included what I perceive to be male & female...talk about going out on a limb.

If anyone would like to guesstamate male vs female please chime in & opinions welcome.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    There really isn't any way to sex them at this age. You'll have to wait until they are at least 6 weeks old, then post pics of the comb to see which ones are larger/redder. If you have quality Ayams, the combs won't be red, and in that case, you could guess by size, or simply wait until 12 weeks, and look for male feathering.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    I appreciate your candor but it’ll be fun trying. Might call it a grownups version of; Mom, Dad, are we almost there?

DaviJones likes this.
  4. Deryk

Deryk Chirping

Jun 12, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    I tried this with 7 that hatched at the end of January using comb size as my guestimator. I thought I had 2 cocks and 5 pullets. Turns out now I am pretty sure it is 4 cocks and 3 pullets. I will be interested to see how yours works since you actually banded them to track. Keep posting as you progress.

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe Pyxis can tell you, she breeds Ayam Cemani

6. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    That would be nice drumstick diva...thanks.

I must say though, if #5 isn't a male I'll give up this theory in a heart beat.

7. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    My theory on comb sexing Ayam Cemainis continued;

Here are my Cemanis on their 2 week anniversary. It is impressive how much change has occurred in seven days with respect to their combs. At this point I will without question identify my green banded Cemani as a cockerel, "Alejandro" (I made the same prediction on week 1). His comb already has deep serrations, high points & each point is well defined.

I have taken it a step farther & have indicated which ones I feel are male/female. However, even though I labeled my white (#5) banded Cemani a female, I think there is still a chance it might change. Its points are somewhat well defined however he/she might need more time. I am almost certain I can make an accurate assessment on he/she's 3rd week anniversary.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. HalfwayHomestead

HalfwayHomestead In the Brooder

May 18, 2018
    Uinta Mountains
    Inquiring minds want to know. How did you end up? I have some cemanis that I am struggling with gender. They are almost 9 weeks old. Goofy little birds for sure.

9. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    3 cockerels & 3 pullets. 2 were a slam dunk early on. One had me completely fulled.

I have 6 others. 2 around 7 wks, & 2 around 1 month old. Looks like 4 or 5 pullets & 1 or 2 cockerels.

10. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    Well, here are the first offspring from the Cemanis above at about 6 wks. So far they look pretty good although time will tell. I should have another hatch in about 2-3 wks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: