Sexing Ayam Ketawa

DuckYouMan

Chirping
May 2, 2019
I can't find anything on this at all. I've looked everywhere. I'm trying to figure out if I have any females. I hatched 3 and their combs look like roosters to me, but in pictures I've found of hens, their combs are also pronounced. Does anyone have a definitive picture of a female AYAM ketawa around 3 months old? None of them act like roosters, but that could just be their temperment. Thank you!

Here we go. The one by the bricks is a few weeks younger than the other two. To me, they look like all roosters.

Attachments

• 3c.JPEG
    3c.JPEG
    141.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 2c.JPEG
    2c.JPEG
    143.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 1c.JPEG
    1c.JPEG
    101.4 KB · Views: 98
Unfortunately I had to head out after those pics. From all the pics I've been able to find of AK hens though has shown me that the combs are going to extend outward on both sexes.

I was told the tails don't really distinguish themselves until later as well with the female also having a pronounced tail although not as much as the male.

I was hoping the combs were different, but unfortunately, that seems to not be the case until later in age.

Yes most breeds, but if you look up the hens of the Ayam Ketawa, you'll notice, they also have giant waddles even when hens. They extend out passed their heads. Until they're much older and the waddles get much larger, its near impossible to tell since the difference comes from the overall size and not length. At least this is what I've been told today.

Back
Top Bottom