Sexing baby Bannys?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cali Chickk, May 9, 2009.

1. Cali Chickk

Cali Chickk New Egg

May 9, 2009
    I just brought home 6 Baby Bannys that my FFA hatched, I was told to check the backs of their legs for "spurs" like you do on chickens, but they ALL seem to have mini ones!
    do I really have that bad of luck or am I doing something wrong?!?
    please help! lol

btw: the chickens are 2/3 weeks old

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Oops wrong one, let me find it, lol

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    All chicks have spur nubs. That is not an accurate way to judge sex. My 11mo old polish pullets have nearly 1/2" spurs on their legs, and I'm 100% sure they're girls. Males don't grow much in the way of spurs until at least 6 months, if not older. My polish cockerel's spurs aren't much bigger than the pullets' at this point.

Most of my girls don't have spurs, but as babies, they all had spur nubs.

4. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Last night I was looking at my chicks that are turning out to be roos and saw the spur nubs. Then I was looking at ones that I knew were pullets and they have them too.

Then I pulled Sally from the roost, she is a 1 year old buff brama and she has tiny spur nubbs too!!! I KNOW she is a she because I saw her lay an egg once. Thay was soooo cool!!!

5. Cali Chickk

Cali Chickk New Egg

May 9, 2009
    oh my goodness thank you, I was very worried, lol
    Does anybody know the correct way to tell or is it too soon at 2/3 weeks?

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    What breed are they? With some breeds, males' combs get pink and start growing earlier, so that is your best bet to judge their gender. I had bantam cochins last year who were obviously males by 17 days, when their combs turned pink and started growing. The females combs stayed tiny and yellow until just before they started laying eggs. Not all breeds will be as easy to tell, but some will be. Good luck!

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Watch for the red combs thats pretty much the first sign of being able to tell if it's a roo.

8. Cali Chickk

Cali Chickk New Egg

May 9, 2009
    I actually have no idea what breed they are [​IMG] my FFA got an egg incubatgor donated so my advisor got somebody he knew to grab soe eggs off their farm and stick them in there to hatch, lol, I know that they are bannys and that 2 are banny/chicken mutts, I had a batch of chickens before these that I could tell by the combs after a little while so I know what you mean about that, only one of these seems to have a comb, the others are just flat where a comb would be...

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If you could post pictures that would help...

And it's banty [​IMG] or call them by their proper name, bantam. And bantams are chickens, just smaller.
    I know that they are bannys and that 2 are banny/chicken mutts​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by