Sexing baby blue sweedish

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So the rescue I get ducks from got a momma blue Swedish and her babies that someone dumped in a park. Momma has a home and they need homes for the babies

Would love to take one of the ducklings but we are up to 14 ducks now with 3 being males so would prefer to get females, but no one involved here has ever vent sexed a duckling and we don’t want to hurt it

This is mom and the babies. Some are light where some are distinctly dark. Would that matter at just 2-3 weeks old? Or the color just random and they could be either male or female regardless of color?
71356A9F-8B1F-4612-AFAC-DFED33213563.jpeg

So the rescue I get ducks from got a momma blue Swedish and her babies that someone dumped in a park. Momma has a home and they need homes for the babies

Would love to take one of the ducklings but we are up to 14 ducks now with 3 being males so would prefer to get females, but no one involved here has ever vent sexed a duckling and we don’t want to hurt it

This is mom and the babies. Some are light where some are distinctly dark. Would that matter at just 2-3 weeks old? Or the color just random and they could be either male or female regardless of color?
View attachment 3115174
Can’t really tell from a picture when they’re little. They may be too young right now to tell by their voices too. Once their voices start changing a little bit from the baby peeps, we could probably tell you from a video of each of them

Cool may take a smaller one then. Watched videos on vent seeing but never done it and don’t want to risk hurting them
I did not notice the light brownish duckling before. Assuming that mom is really a blue Swedish then dad would have to have sex-linked brown. That baby would then be a sex-linked duckling and be female. I recently hatched some ducklings like that from my Silver Swedish female and half Khaki drake. This is my little girl:
0A28DF32-59D3-4D50-A007-1EEEAC175F4B.jpeg

I believe having blue and brown is called lavender.

I did not notice the light brownish duckling before. Assuming that mom is really a blue Swedish then dad would have to have sex-linked brown. That baby would then be a sex-linked duckling and be female. I recently hatched some ducklings like that from my Silver Swedish female and half Khaki drake. This is my little girl:
View attachment 3115549
I believe having blue and brown is called lavender.
Good to know! I reached out but all the ducklings were already taken :( oh well will wait for the next rescue :)

Back
Top Bottom