sexing baby chicks by laying them on their backs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goosecrane, Mar 11, 2009.

1. goosecrane

goosecrane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    a guy at the feed store was showing everyone in the store, that was looking at the baby chicks thay had to sell, how to sex chicks. he said to lay them on their back in the palm of your hand. if the chick just sorta lays there like its asleep, its a pullet. if the chick will not lay there, it is a rooster. is there any truth to this?

2. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    wow, never heard of that one! maybe someone else has [​IMG]

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Don't believe it !

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

There are many old remedies for sexing chicks. That is one that we use quite often and with about a 90% accuracy. There is also the wing feathers which I believe is one row of feathers is a pullet and two rows is a cockeral (I could be backwards on that). Shape of the head and so on.

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I tried it last year and had very good luck with it..or maybe it was just that...luck!

Out of 12 straight run chicks, I wanted 1 roo, ended up with 2 out of 12 all the rest were pullets!

I decided to test this at the feed store, they had a bin of boys and a bin of girls. Sure enough, the boys had a fit, girls cool as cucumbers!

6. fairladi_chick

fairladi_chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    gray court,sc
    i watched dirty jobs & the guy went to a chicken farm,, and in order to tell what sex they are,, you have to squeese their lil poopers.

7. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Wow, I just heard that last night at the feed store. the woman said an old chicken farmer told her that if you held a chick in the palm of your hand on its back and it laid there calm and with its legs held tight against its body it was a pullet. if it stretched out one leg it was a roo. we only wanted one bantie but they only sold them straight run. she flopped the one we wanted over and it held its legs in and was calm. she picked up another and it was calm but stretched one leg straight out. she said that was a roo. I can't wait to test this theory. it should take a few months I'm thinkin [​IMG]

picked up last night:
    2 Cuckoo Marans
    2 Delaware's
    2 Araucana's
    1 bantie (breed, sex unknown) we think it could be a Buff Brahma.
    still wanted-- silkie banties and Salmon Faverolles

8. rikku_03

rikku_03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Anchorage
    whoa thats pretty interesting I should test it out sometime

9. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Idk why that posted twice...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  10. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Quote:Its the oppisite. One smooth row is a cockerel and two rows is a pullet. This is how the hatcheries do it. Its the easiest way and 100% accurate. Goodluck, -Jay

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by