1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SEXING BABY CHICKS, INFO FROM U TUBE VIDEO

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DonnaBelle, Feb 25, 2009.

1. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I just watched a very interesting video on UTube about a hatchery. It shows a worker sexing baby chicks by holding out the wing with his thumb and looking at the feathers splayed out. If the feathers are two different lengths, long and short, it's a female.

If the feathers are all the same length, the chick is a male.
    VERY INTERESTING. Has anyone had success using this method or are the chicks too old by the time we get them from the hatchery??
    I am eagerly awaiting my first bunch from Ideal Hatchery on March 11.

I love this chicken stuff.

Donna Belle

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I saw that video too and have made a note as to the feathers on my newly hatched chicks. I'll have to see what time determines. [​IMG]

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Only certain breeds can be feather-sexed from what I understand. The most accurate way to do it is by vent sexing. I just can't seem to figure out how they do that! [​IMG]

4. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    That is specific to dominant gene K . The chicks have to be selectively bred to be sexed that way. They are hybrids called sexlinks and can be sexed by color or feather.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. beginnerchick08

beginnerchick08 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Alabama
    i saw a post awhile ago on here talking about if you pick up the chicks and turn them on their back after they get done squiggling they relax and supposedly if its a male one leg sticks straight out and if its a female none go out. i could be wrong about that but i remember reading about it. i wish i could find that thread again.

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Quote:I did that last year with all my chicks, out of a total of 11 chicks, I ended up with 2 roos that I thought were girls. I though I did pretty well, but of course it isn't 100% accurate..lol.

7. chickenrunnin

chickenrunnin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Roy, Washington
    Hey guys this is a great video on youtube. Mike Roe off dirty job did it. Its McMurrays Hatchery [​IMG]

8. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Poor Babies!! What a start!

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    How do you tell sex by vent, heard it few times but never asked so here goes???

Quote:

10. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    They squeeze the babies til the poop squirts out, then look at the vent. You're supposed to be able to see little bumps. I don't have my notes handy, but I think if you see bumps it's a male, and if there's no bumps it's a female. I never even got as far as squirting poop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by