SEXING BABY CHICKS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Glenda L Heywood, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    here are a couple articles by article from Dr Ron Okimoto
    and one by myself on sexing chicks

BARRING & SLOW FEATHERING
    Dr Ron Okimoto

I think that slow-feathering works the way you describe for enhancing barring, but the published
    literature says that we are wrong. Sex-linked late-feathering is called late-feathering instead of
    slow-feathering because the rate of feather growth is not changed, but the timing of feather erruption in
    the different feather tracts is altered to a later time.

I don't agree with these finding, but I've never taken a ruler and measured the rate of feather growth
    in late-feathering birds compared to early-feathering birds. Until I do I have to go along with the guys
    that have done the measurements.

This claim just seems wrong. My unscientific observations tell me that feather growth is slowed
    down especially in the long feathers of the tail and wings. Even after they start to grow, these feathers
    do not elongate as fast as early-feathering birds.

Anyone that has raised these birds can tell you that even though a late-feathering bird has primary flights at hatch, by 10 days the wing feathers are a full 1/3 shorter than early feathering birds. For the
    late-feathering claim to hold the early feathering embryos would have to have feathers the same length as late-feathering chicks as much as 3-4 days before hatch.

Biology is a strange science, and if I did do the measurements correctly, I'd probably find that the
    guys that did the original research are right, because I have no good reason why they should be wrong. Looks can be deceiving.?

SEXING BABY CHICKS

Dominant white produces a white downed chick that cannot be sexed by the head spot on a black chick. You can't use sex-linked barring to sex chicks when dominant white is present. You simply can't see the difference because you can't see the head spots.

Dominant white birds are sex using sex-linked late-feathering. This trait is dominant you can see it in the chick wing feathers. Coverts (the feathers in the layer above the primary flights) are shorter than the primaries for early-feathering chicks and coverts are as long or longer than the primaries for late-feathering chicks. Late-feathering chicks take longer to feather out and usually have sparse tails with feathers shorter than 1 cm by 10 days of age, while early feathering chicks have pretty full tails and feathers longer than 1 cm by 10 days of age. To sex day old chicks you have to breed an early feathering male to late-feathering females. All the male chicks will be late-feathering and all the female chicks will be early feathering WING FEATHER SEXING OF CHICKS
    By
    Glenda L Heywood

Many people like to tell the sex of their chicks this question was asked of me and here is the answer sent to me.
    Glenda L Heywood

ANSWER
    the theory on wing-sexing is this:
    the growth rate of feathers is sex linked. the short story is that the males two x chromosomes(called w chromosomes in poultry) and the hen has a x (w) and a y(z)

Poultry chromosomes are the opposite of people.
    The result of this is that basically, if the bird's wing feathers grow fast (when it is a little chick), it is more likely (but not 100% by any means) to be a female.

A slow wing feather growth is more likely a male, but again, not 100% or even close, maybe more like 70% i'd say.

Now my own experience was totally different In My Cochin Frizzles the slow feathering chick was always a female So I believe it is genetically controlled.
    According to your line of chickens that you are breeding
    Glenda L Heywood

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Thank you Glenda. very informative.

3. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    great info thank you

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Dr Okimoto's article about sexing chicks is referring to the sex linked trait rate of feather growth. Whereby a male known to be carrying the sex linked trait rapid feathering, on each of his two Z chromosomes, is crossed onto females carrying a late feathering gene on her single Z chromosome. This would cause the females to inherit the rapid feather gene on her single Z choromosome & the males to be heterozygous for the trait. The late feathering gene is dominant to the rapid feather gene. Thus the females wing feathers will show before the males'.

This illustrates

http://www.asrc.agri.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/index.htm

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by