Sexing baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by porkchop48, Dec 25, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    There has to be a way to do it right?

Any one have any tips, pointers, links, pics? Anything?

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    There is a way to do it, but it's very difficult, not 100% accurate, and it seems it's one of those things that some people have a talent for and others don't no matter how much they practice. It's what they do at hatcheries, it is called vent sexing. You can only do it in the first three days or so after the chick hatches, and if you don't do it right, you can hurt them. Some breeds/bloodlines can be sexed in the first few days by the speed at which the wing feathers grow in, but this only works for some birds.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Because vent sexing isn't easy, the use of sex linked coloring of the chicks is far easier for those who breed their own chickens.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I would sure would like to learn how to vent sex a chick - and I've watched the videos on YouTube, but I'm afraid I'd hurt the chick. Hatcheries that use professionals to vent sex their chicks aren't always accurate. I got to EEs from a hatchery - both were supposed to be pullets, but one was a roo.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:there is vent sexing, takes lost of years to do right
    wing feathers, that depends on the breed. in some breeds the male and female wing feathers grow at different rates for the first week or so
    color sexing, also not in all breeds, most are cross-breeds that don't rebreed true, but there are a few that do breed true, i.e Legbar (not really available in the states)

if you want to wait a few weeks, there are a few breeds that the hens are different color than the roo when feathers come in, i.e. Salmon Faverolles

but if you are looking at silkies, other than the partridge color, you have to wait till they crow or lay eggs to be sure

6. ponyup

ponyup Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Aubrey TX
    The "old timers" told me to hold the chick upside down by its feet (gently of course!) and those who flop around and try to "stand up" are roosters. The others who just lay back and relax are the hens. I have found this more often than not to be true. [​IMG]

7. OverEasyAcresSC

OverEasyAcresSC Out Of The Brooder

I've heard of the laying the chicks in your palm and the one that lays still is a pullet & the chick that flops around is a cockerel..

8. States family

States family Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Punxsutawney, Pa
    Most of those things I've read about laying chick's on their backs or upside down or even spinning a metal washer on a string just brings me to think they're just old wives tales. I can't see how scientifically that would be a positive identifying method. I'm trying to secure mine currently and the best information I've received was looking at the leg width, comb color and how big compared, as well as if you see them chest bumping or setting up the pecking orders. That makes more sense to me ;) maybe the other ones work, I've never tried it though. Vent sexing seems pretty solid but hard. However youc analwa ys just wait a few more weeks and be sure by growth and appearance! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by