Sexing Baby EEs??????????????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mourningdove, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I have several EEs that I bought and they are now a month old, my question is there any sure fired way to sex them at this age?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    In a word, no. They can be vent sexed as day olds, but once they start eatting, its too late. EEs have got to be one of the most difficult to sex. Most breeds will show pointed neck feathers ONLY on the roos, but EEs all seem to have pointed neck feathers.

3. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    oh boy.........I thought I would have an easy time at this age. So basically what your telling me is I have to wait to know when the rooster starts filling out and crowing?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Combs may help. Males have wider, more raised pea combs with all three rows of "peas" showing, usually. Females keep only the center ridge for a long time and their combs stay yellowish for quite a while.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    actually I think silkies are harder to sex...
    if you post clear pics of their combs some may be able to help give you an idea. I have been right over 90% of the time with my araucana and ameraucana at that age.....

6. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    would the males have an orangish look to the combs?

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    One of the things that can make EEs so hard to sex is the fact that they are mutts. When making comparisons between the sexes, you should only compare within breed. You just can't do that with mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by