Sexing baby peacocks, turkeys and pheasants

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shorty2020, Jun 10, 2010.

1. shorty2020

shorty2020 New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    I have incubated some peacocks, turkeys, and pheasants. There are approximately 2 weeks old. I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to tell the males from the females. Do you have to wait until they reach a certain age to determine the sex? I have a person interested in getting a male and a female.

2. FarmersHatchery

FarmersHatchery Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    West Central Missouri
    I'm not sure on pheasants or peacocks, but on turkeys you need to wait till they get older. They'll start strutting and gobbiling. Mine were about 4 months when I was able to tell them apart. Other ways besides the strutting is to look at their wattles when they are that old. The hens will be small, while the Toms' wattles will already be about 1 inch long and will be curling down. Otherwise, the person who is interested will either have to wait till they get older (4ish months) or just take two now and hope they are a pair. I think pheasants and peacocks you also have to wait longer, but I don't know about them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by