Sexing Bantam Australorps

Ezekielette

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2016
Victoria, Australia
Hello chicken family!

I am hoping someone may be able to assist with the sexing of my four 12 & 13 week old Bantam Australorps. I have read everything I possibly can on sexing them, but I find them all so similar I cannot tell. We were supposed to get from the breeder three females and one male. There are two (who I think are female), both 13 weeks and they are quite big, whereas the 12 week (female) and 13 week old (hopefully male) are still quite small. The one I suspect is a roo is just so friendly and curious I hope he is the roo, but he looks, to me, exactly the same as the others.

Cookie (female)

Lady (female)

Lola (female?)

Roostio (hopefully Roo)

Here they all are together :D

Anyone's advice greatly appreciated!

Katie =^..^=

That's what I was afraid of
1f62b.png

We specifically wanted a roo that we could raise from chick, as we also have another 4 hens and wanted a little dude for the girls

Hey Katie

If you send me to pick up some one day old's or have one of my broodies hatch out some fertile eggs, I can guarantee you that the rooster to pullet ratio would be high
wink.png

It is typical really, you wanted a rooster and did not get one .. others do not want roosters and 90% turn out to be boys
roll.png

Seriously now, any particular reason you wanted one from a chick? You would probably be able to pick up a youngster from Gumtree and you might be saving him from the pot?

Hey Katie

If you send me to pick up some one day old's or have one of my broodies hatch out some fertile eggs, I can guarantee you that the rooster to pullet ratio would be high ;)

It is typical really, you wanted a rooster and did not get one .. others do not want roosters and 90% turn out to be boys :rolleyes:

Seriously now, any particular reason you wanted one from a chick?  You would probably be able to pick up a youngster from Gumtree and you might be saving him from the pot?

We wanted four new additions to our flock and had never raised from chicks, so we wanted to do this for both experience and the hope of raising friendly, tame chickens, particularly a rooster.

I have checked gumtree and there are always plenty of normal Australorps, but I find it extremely difficult to find anyone who breeds bantam australorps. It took me months to find this one breeder as it was. I suppose I will go back to her to see if she has any cockerels.

We wanted four new additions to our flock and had never raised from chicks, so we wanted to do this for both experience and the hope of raising friendly, tame chickens, particularly a rooster.

I have checked gumtree and there are always plenty of normal Australorps, but I find it extremely difficult to find anyone who breeds bantam australorps. It took me months to find this one breeder as it was. I suppose I will go back to her to see if she has any cockerels.

Ah OK, I did not know that bantam Australorps were hard to get. I am trying to steer clear of Gumtree and chicken math
wink.png

Hopefully the breeder will be able to help
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom