Sexing Bantam Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Basia, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Basia

Basia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    I am new to the forum but I have read alot of the posts and you all are wonderful. I am also new to raising Bantams. [​IMG] I have 3 Chicks that are 5 weeks and 3 days old. I was wondering if you could help me sex them?
    [​IMG]
    They are sweet and tame... amazing birds.
    It is hard to believe they have grown so much since they hatched. All of the waddles and combs are about the same size... 2 have peach colored and one is red colored.
    Thanks

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    You have 3 cockerels. My 19 week old chick doesn't have a comb that large yet!

3. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Hello and welcome. I am also pretty new to chickens in general, but I am picking up quite a bit on being on this forum.

I believe your first (on the far left) one may be a roo - they other two I'm not too sure. [I think they may also be roosters] I would need to see a better pic of their combs.

Usually at that age the ones that develop larger and redder combs and waddles turn out to be boys....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  4. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I don't have any pictures of my banty cochin growing up, but looking thruogh my pics I found a picture of my cuckoo marans, at 6 weeks old.

see how she doesn't have a comb yet?
    [​IMG]

5. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    all roos. what kind are they??

6. Basia

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    They are Blue Buff Japanese.
    I "met" the hen that layed these eggs before I took them home to put in the bater. She had a beautiful comb. I was hoping this breed just had large combs [​IMG]
    Thanks

7. Basia

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    I went and took a pic of each of them. They will pose and do about anything for me... Napoleon has a bad problem of going up my arm and staying on my shoulder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like three little boys there!

9. Basia

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    Thanks for all of the help. I was hopin' for a girl [​IMG]

10. Basia

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    The farmer that I got the eggs from said to process the males at 2 months... any suggestions?

I have a small flock of quail. IF I kept ONE rooster... would it do ok with the quail? Do Bantams crow as loud as a standard? [​IMG] There is no ordinance against roosters but I don't need city council making one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by