sexing bantam cochins!?!?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken head34, Jun 19, 2010.

1. chicken head34

chicken head34 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    Hi, [​IMG] at what age is it more accurate to sex bantam cochins? The lady i bought them from sexed them by how long there toes where, but i heard that wasent that accurate. I think there still maybe a little to young(2 months old) , but i dont know these are my first chicks! [​IMG] thanx!!!! [​IMG]

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    My DD and I have about 30 young ones at the moment- 4-5 weeks old. We are going on the theory that the pullets feather out soonest. Time will tell if that is correct. If it is correct, I have 9 cockerels and 1 pullet running around in the grass here.

3. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    with my cochins the pullets always feather up faster, a lot of the boys are sad looking because their back feathers come in so slowly. by about 4 weeks i can tell sex based on comb development, the boys will have larger combs that are noticibly more red.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Almost always by 3 weeks I can tell males from females based on comb development. Wish there was an earlier way, but I haven't found it.

5. chicken head34

chicken head34 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    they'reHISchickens :

My DD and I have about 30 young ones at the moment- 4-5 weeks old. We are going on the theory that the pullets feather out soonest. Time will tell if that is correct. If it is correct, I have 9 cockerels and 1 pullet running around in the grass here.

well if this is true then ill have 1 pullet and a cockeral [​IMG] ... The one that i think is a pullet have alot more feathering on the feet then the other one and is getting feathers faster!!!! Great may have to find new names! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by