Sexing Bantam Salmon Faverolle chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SusanJoM, Apr 7, 2009.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone had good luck determining the sexes of these guys early on? When I got my first BSFs last spring, the seller was confident that she had knew the sexes of the three she gave me, but in fact they turned out to be a trio of roos. She very nicely gave me two adolescent girls when she had some, and now I have six second generation chicklets in the brooder.

I see on Feathersite that they show the roos as having black on their wing tips and the pullets as having brown there as early as 2 weeks. Have you found that to be true?

Susan

2. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Hey Susan [​IMG]
    Yes that is very true Wait till they are 2-3 weeks old and the feather colors will tell you what they are Black is roo and brown/tan is hen

Mike [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I am always indecisive if it is brown or black on the wings. At around 3 weeks feathers will start to sprout on the shoulders. Then it is easy. The girls will have reddish sprouts and the little boys with be balck.

4. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Mike.
    Thanks Jaynie.

I'm gonna be very curious to see how well I do in determining their sexes. :))))

When I got the original trio, it was sooooooo confusing. Since I had been told that I had a roo and two pullets, I kept trying to determine which was which and why. I was so sure that the seller knew her stuff, so there just had to be something distinguishing them....but I just couldn't ever be sure.
    Then one day it dawned on me: duh !!!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    she was wrong ????!!!!!
    They were ALL boys. No wonder I couldn't tell them apart.....

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You want to go by CHEST color. When their chest feathers start coming in, if they are black its a roo, tan a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by