1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VolailleAmant, Jan 27, 2017.

1. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Is there a way that I could sex bantams when they come as a straight run? I would like to show female Silkies, but the hatchery only offers str. run. Is there any way I could sex them when they are a bit older?
    Thank you!
    -VA

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you wish to show them than a breeder might be a better place for you to get them from and they can probably tell the sex of the birds fairly early by experience.

If you don't care about their confirmation than My Pet Chicken sell bantams sexed, mine have always been correctly sexed.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The only way to accurately sex Silkies as chicks is by vent sexing them, and that needs to be done by experts (it is very tricky). Otherwise, you just need to wait until the birds mature to tell gender. For Silkies, that can be a long time, unfortunately.

I second what oldhenlikesdogs said, though. If you really want to show, you would be better off getting some quality Silkies from an experienced breeder. That still wouldn't solve the sexing problem, since the breeders (generally) can't sex young chicks, but you would end up with birds that are bred to be competitive in the show ring. Hatcheries tend to focus on quantity, not quality, which can lead to birds with disqualifications or less-than-great breed characteristics.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Years ago my friend bought from a breeder(another state) twice. Both times she got beautiful birds. The breeder didn't offer any for sale till 4-5 mos. My friend got true pullets because they were old enough to sex. That's probably the best way to get silkies. The ad was in the BYC Buy,sell,trade forum - the breeder had several pictures of her birds for sale and described why they were show or breeding stock. Very satisfied.

1 person likes this.
  5. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Hello, Thank you!
    That is sort of my dilemma, I don't really know any local breeders, so I am kind of forced into a hatchery choice. Then, I checked My Pet Chicken and wasn't quite pleased, either they don't breed very many of a certain breed, or the breed is in demand. I was looking at Silkies [​IMG]
    Thank you! [​IMG]

6. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    I agree! [​IMG]

7. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    That is how I got my first 4 Silkies, I actually do know a breeder of only Silkies, but I am looking for Mille Fleurs and Buff Laced Polish. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by