Sexing Bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by camlang, Jul 22, 2007.

1. camlang

camlang New Egg

Jul 22, 2007
    Burlington Ontario
    I've heard a lot of talk about not being able to sex bantams, I’m really interested in adding some too my flock but because I’m in the city I really need female birds. And it is nearly impossible for me to get bantam Plymouths from anywhere but mpc, which only sells in straight runs... Now I was thinking of ordering them sexing them myself. Is this safe for the bird, I don’t want to harm it in any way, and is it even possible? Why doesn’t the hatchery just do it themselves?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. ChickyGal

ChickyGal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    Hi, they sell straight run chicks cheaper than sexed chicks. I've never tried sexing any but someone sent a link from a Mike Rowe's TV show and it didn't seem to pleasant. Good luck

3. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I've seen it done on that "Dirtiest Jobs" show. My big brother picked up on it and did it, and it was rather accurate but I wouldn't take any chances doing it myself, it was rather nasty, too, and I would think a bit painful for the chick.

4. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    You could try feather sexing. there is a post about on here called " anyone had any luck with feather sexing?" it describes it in the post

5. camlang

camlang New Egg

Jul 22, 2007
    Burlington Ontario
    Thanks, i think i'm gonna look into feather sexing, i'd feel much better not stressing a chick out like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by