1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by J3172, Feb 15, 2010.

1. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Why cant hatcheries sex bantams? Then I've read about it and seen it on dirty jobs but still cant figure it out on live chicks and ducklings is their a secret to it?

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    My Pet Chickens sexes bantams, but it costs $7 extra per chick for pullets. I think most don't do it because they are so small and that makes it much harder to do.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    maybe it has something to do with the size of the chick. Bantams are about half the size of standard poultry. But I really [​IMG] . I can color sex my hatchery silver duckwing OEGB.

4. J3172

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    are their other bantams you can color sex?

5. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:I'm sure there have got to be but I only have experience with Silver Duckwing OEGB.

6. J3172

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    well I ordered the bantam special from ideal do if I get any silver duckwing bantams how do I tell?

7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i've been able to feather sex my bantams within a few days of hatching. i have 7 cochin mixes that all look to be pullets, and i just hatched out 2 bantam faverolles that both are males.

8. J3172

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    please share how you feather sex them. I would love to know

9. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    It is easier to see than to explain but I don't have any pics cuz I never took any. But,Day Old- Males will have a lighter head kinda silver-ish. Females will be different in appearance, darker and their heads are more of a brown. When they start to feather out 95% of the time males will have dark breast feathers and females will be light brown instead. But seldom do the feather different but it does happen.

10. J3172

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    is there anyway to tell by which feathers grow in faster or slower between the sexes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by