sexing bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by granmahen, Aug 27, 2008.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Okay, finally took a chance on straight run bantams. They were two days old when we got them. Now they are 2 weeks old. Is it too late to figure out their sexes? Will we have to now wait until somebody (all three?:eek:) crow? We've one silkie, one polish, and one silver-laced cochin (I think). Live in the city and don't know what we'll do if we've got roos. Named them all girl names though I guess that won't help.[​IMG] Oops...not a cochin, a seabright.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    The cochin will be easy to tell by comb size in the next few weeks-post pics here of all and it will help. Silkies are notorious for being difficult to tell until much later. Don't know about the polish.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Good luck with the silkie! I got 2 8-9 week olds and I'm back and forth on who's what still?! I still love them either way [​IMG]

4. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I recently got a bantam that is now 5 1/2 wks old. "She" (hopefully) is a cross between an Ameracauna rooster and a Mille Fluer D'uccle/OEG Hen. So far she has no comb so to speak but you can see where one is just starting to form. I got her at 4 wks and some of the others already had decent size combs for their size/age. Is it possible to sex her going by the hackle/saddle feathers? Her's are rounded and not pointed but I'm not sure if this way holds true with bantams.

thanks,
    Wanda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by