sexing barnvelder chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazycluck86, Mar 24, 2013.

1. crazycluck86

crazycluck86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    [​IMG]

He/she was only 3 days old here but does anyone have any ideas? Or should I get a better pic?

2. Jotaylor

Jotaylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
  3. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Thats useful thank you. If I go by that information I think we have a pullet, but I read somewhere that cockerels have a grey chest and pullets have a beige/cream chest....'she' is grey. She is the first barnvelder I have ever had so its all new to me ha! :)

4. Jotaylor

Feb 8, 2013
    I'm glad that was useful, I think our new baby is a pullet too. What breed is Mom in the picture? I have a hen that looks just like her only smaller. I think she lays small white eggs. She's rather skidish, as I can never catch her. My daughter can tho. LOL

5. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Lol! Yes my 3 year old daughter is good at catching them, although she does struggle with the larger breeds! That's Dottie, shes a large dark brahma. The other two stripey babies are dark brahmas too and the little yellow chick is a salmon faverolle. Shes a great mom and so tame and loving, but at the botyom of the pecking order :-(

6. Jotaylor

Feb 8, 2013
    She is much bigger than ours but looks just like her! Good to know what breed she is![​IMG] Do you think she is the same breed? Her name is nutmeg.

7. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Ahh shes beautiful, yes she looks like a bantam brahma! Lovely birds but always broody lol!!
    I have a cockerel too who is bigger than my daughter but it won't let me post a pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by