Sexing Barred chick by the spot on the head

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaybobrenn, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jaybobrenn

jaybobrenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2013
    SW Oklahoma
    I can't remember if the males have the bigger spot or the smaller spot. Here is one of my new chicks. Its a cross of a Marans roo and a Barred Rock pullet. Can somebody help me out?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'm pretty uncertain as to sex using the head-spot method when the chick is this cross. In a typical BSL, say a RIR over a BR for example, the chicks with head spots are cockerels and the pullets have no head spots. In other words, I'm no help at all. LOL

3. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Males have a larger spot on their head, their legs are more pale, and are a darker color. Females are the opposite.

Although, I have never heard about the white spot method as a way to determine gender.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Except that this chick is a cross. What you stated is more true of a Barred Rock, which this chick is not.

5. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    wellt this chick is part barred rock, and I don't know much about marans. So I was just saying what I knew.

6. jaybobrenn

Jul 7, 2013
    SW Oklahoma
    Both the roo and the hen are barred. The hen being a pure Barred Rock and the roo a Cuckoo Marans mix.[​IMG]

7. jaybobrenn

Jul 7, 2013
    SW Oklahoma
    Im not certain but I think the same rule applies about the head spots with the Cuckoo Marans as it does with the BR. So if thats the case wouldnt you be able to sex this cross by the head spot? I don't know, just asking.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    The dot on the head cannot determine the gender.

9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have 2 barred chicks one with white spot one with yellow. does yellow make a difference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by