Sexing Barred Rock and Buff Rock chicks

mix chickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Utah
Hi there! I recently bought two chicks from a feed store and I can only have hens. I was told they were "sexed", but I'm suspicious that one is a rooster. When I bought them I was told one was a Golden Wyandotte
roll.png
Obviously not. I'm positive one is a Buff Rock, and pretty sure the other is dominique chicken.

The dominique(?) one I think is a rooster. S/he is slightly older than the Buff Rock, and I think is around 4-5 weeks but I could be wrong. The buff rock is only a little younger and I believe is also around 4-5 weeks. I'm not positive on the ages; just estimating by looking at other images.

Here is Sherlock, the dominique(?) chick

Here is Watson, the Buff Rock

Last edited:
Forgot to add: I'm not sure on who's a rooster or not. I've sexed incorrectly before.. Sherlock has a big crown and the tail is narrow. but Watson has more red, just not a big crown. So again I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Oh really! Thanks. The place I bought them from obviously didn't know much about chickens. Can you tell if the Buff Rock is a girl?

For Plymouth Barred Rock chickens it easy to tell sex at about 4 weeks old. Pullets look mostly black with very little barring, cockerals look almost gray because of more barring. Husker Hens, I think you have a pullet going by the photo.

I think mix chicken's barred rock could be a pullet. That comb isn't bright pink yet or all that big yet.

The birds in this photo are both Barred Rock pullets. Hatchery quality birds can vary a lot.
The second posted barred Rock is a pullet.

Just for future reference when some is talking about a bright red/pink comb, the color is like this guy's comb.

Yes, it's a pea comb, not a straight comb, but this is the shade of pink/red being referred to. This guy is only 8 weeks old in this pic.

Thanks for the help all of you! I'll wait it out a while longer and tell you if he starts crowing. What about the Buff Rock? That's the one I'm very confused on. S/He doesn't have a big comb and the tail is short and not long and narrow like Sherlock's. But there's more red in the waddle area, and from past experience cockerels tend to be somewhat sweeter and this little one is very sweet and kind. I'm hoping it's a female, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom