Sexing Barred Rock Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sasquatch, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I have 2 that are now a week old. Any tips? or do I wait for comb development?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Not yet, they are to young to sex [​IMG]

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Between 6 and 8 weeks the males will have some color(pink) in their faces. Pullets will not show any color until just before they are laying age.

4. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Females are most likely (not for sure, but most of the time) to have a darker wash down the front of their legs. I've been told.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I can sex all BR chicks at hatch with relative certainty. I've written this list so many times, but here goes:

Males: larger, splotchy headspot, lighter silvery/grayish color rather than black, no or little black down leg fronts

Females: headspot is more defined and smaller, down is very black, legs usually have dark wash down the front.

These, taken together, will give you the sex about 90% of the time. The other 10% aren't as clear and can fool you.

EDITED TO ADD: this is a BR cockerel, obvious from hatch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Quote:I had heard that too. I thought it was true until we found out we had two roos. I asked the people at the hatchery and they just laughed and said that they can't be sexed that way.

7. speckledhen

Not by leg color alone, no. I never say that. Always take the three traits together. The cockerel in the pic above has very little black. Some have none. I've never seen a cockerel start out with very black leg fronts.

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    If you follow speckledhen's advice you can sex pretty acurately. Mine are 3 weeks old and for sure 4 roos and 2 hens. Watch the development. The roos will lighten up almost to a silvery color before barring and the hens will stay dark.

9. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Quote:That is awesome info to have. I am crossing my BR with a dominique, do you think I can use the same rules?

10. speckledhen

Yes, it should apply to that cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by