Sexing Barreds

WrenAli

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Lebanon, OR
A little starting info:
I am totally new to chicks. Never had them before. I have 3 barred rocks and 12 cornish rock x chicks.

My question is:
I have 3 - 3 week old Barred Pullets(?). One of the chicks stands taller (straighter up) and is bigger than the other two. How do I, if I can, sex these little beasties at this age?

I am planning on starting another batch here next week and if I have a roo I want to get another pullet.

Cheers!
Ali

When they're just hatched, the size and shape of the dot on their heads indicates male or female.

But it's probably too late for that at 3 weeks. The one that stands a little taller than the others, does it also have sturdier legs, especially the "drumsticks"? Also look for more red on the face, especially the wattles.

Generally with BRs, pullets have more narrow white bars and cockerals have wider ones making them look lighter in color all over.

Quote:
That has been the case with the 2 I got that were both supposed to be pullets. By week 2 1/2 or 3 there was a distinct difference, particularly when that little comb started standing up and turning pink.... out of the 8 pullets I ordered, 2 were roos... let's hope the introductions to the other 2 roos, 1 SLW hen and 3 guineas go smoothly in a few weeks. When I've put them in a "day care pen" outside for a few hours, the chickens are fine with them, but the guineas are NOT happy to see them.

Here is a picture of a couple of my Dominique chicks. They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. The male is in front, female in back. See how much lighter he is? The white bars are much wider than on the female, who appears much darker. She looks black, with thin white stripes, whereas he looks more silver. The difference in mine is very noticeable, even at a distance.

100_0655.jpg

Yep, I'll confirm what others are saying. I have 4 barred rocks in with my mix of replacement layer babies right now. Three are pullets, the fourth is a roo and he is already much lighter than the girls. They're about 4/5 weeks old.

Liz

Back
Top Bottom