Sexing Black Copper Marans

Jackiebjackie

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2020
Hello there! I have 3 seven week old black copper Marans, and am having trouble with sexing one of them. Here are some pics for comparison:

The one on the top with the red comb is Zeldo, and we know he is a cockerel. The one on the bottom is Morgan, and we know she’s a pullet. However the one in the middle is Sonic, we have trouble with. He/she started out with the biggest comb and we thought Sonic was a boy, but since then the comb growth has stopped, and Sonic is also now the smallest of the three by far.
9C91F151-E1E5-4842-8297-8EDF02F1D5DC.jpeg

87799229-C063-49A9-8BBE-DECF77E1FD30.jpeg

DAAE7F6B-BD42-4087-93DD-6D59F94344D6.jpeg

Next to Zeldo, Sonic looks like such a pullet, but next to Morgan, Sonics comb looks much bigger
84F117BF-8725-46FA-9872-4B8FE3ECD6DD.jpeg

EA07F488-5D67-4176-916A-D9310E0CAF1F.jpeg

We are so curious if Sonic is actually Sonia. Any help and opinions would be so much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hello there! I have 3 seven week old black copper Marans, and am having trouble with sexing one of them. Here are some pics for comparison:

The one on the top with the red comb is Zeldo, and we know he is a cockerel. The one on the bottom is Morgan, and we know she’s a pullet. However the one in the middle is Sonic, we have trouble with. He/she started out with the biggest comb and we thought Sonic was a boy, but since then the comb growth has stopped, and Sonic is also now the smallest of the three by far.
View attachment 2284941

View attachment 2284938

View attachment 2284939

Next to Zeldo, Sonic looks like such a pullet, but next to Morgan, Sonics comb looks much bigger
View attachment 2284942

View attachment 2284943

We are so curious if Sonic is actually Sonia. Any help and opinions would be so much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
You have a trio. As in, one meal, two females.
ETA: one MALE, two females. :eek: :lau

You have a trio. As in, one meal, two females.
ETA: one MALE, two females. :eek: :lau

The funniest autocorrect of all time!

Sonic/Sonia started developing copper before anyone else. I’m guessing with all of your opinions now, that maybe she just bloomed early and the other two developed later and surpassed her!

Thank you for your replies and expertise! I really lucked out, as we got two Lavender Orpingtons and three Black Copper Marans, all straight run. It seems we have four pullets and one cockerel! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom