Sexing BLRW's... How long until I can tell?PICS :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 19hhbelgian, Aug 31, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I have 4 BLRW chicks, and was wondering when I will be able to tell the difference between girl/boy. I know the roo's feather differently than the hens color pattern wise, but right now they all look the same [​IMG] Here's a pic of my babies (I'm not expecting any one to be able to tell me pullet/cockerel yet, just wanted to post a pic of them for you [​IMG])

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

As chicks feather out, the boys seem to get a tail after the girls and when they do feather out, the boys have pointy ends of their feathers, especially on the outside of the thighs and shoulders. The girls have rounded ends of their feathers in those same places. You can't really tell from a small bump where the spur would be cause some girls end up w/those, too;)

3. Kirtusjon

Kirtusjon Chillin' With My Peeps

I can usually tell after the first week, by the look of the comb, about 95%. On most Wyandotte roosters, their combs will be noticeable and not so on the pullets.

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    OK thanks!

5. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I got a few blr chicks what do you all think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kirtusjon

Kirtusjon Chillin' With My Peeps

2 pullets. I could not tell by the angle, does the first one have a straight comb?

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I noticed that my males got a lot more blue in them then the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by