Sexing Blue Orpingtons and Black Copper Marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MyLittleRedCoop, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MyLittleRedCoop

MyLittleRedCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    I bought a dozen fertile eggs from a local breeder for my broody-butt to hatch.
    Half Black Copper Marans and half Blue Orpington eggs.
    5 hatched. Now I'm trying to guess who's going to be a he or a she. They are 5 & 1/2 weeks old. I posted 4 pics of each, so you can see different angles, etc. Would love to get some opinions about gender from others with more experience!!
    Thanks!

First up is "green". Pretty sure this one is a BCM. Green is overall a bit larger than the rest. Has a smattering of copper on the tips of the neck feathers. Also has more leg feathers than the other Marans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is "orange" I think orange is a BCM, too. Has some leg feathers, though not as many as green. Still has almost no tail. The short feathers sort of curl over the little stump. This one is the smallest of the hatch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is "yellow" I started off thinking this one was a BCM but think it's more likely a BO. The comb is very short, and has no color, but I caught it fighting back against one that I think might be a roo...? So... Yeah. Not sure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is "purple". Assuming it's a BO. Has almost no tail. Comb is a little short, but is smaller in size compared to the other BOs. Comb is peachy and it looks like there are waddles growing in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one is pink. (not because I was making assumptions... I just needed a different color!! [​IMG] ) Pink is the biggest of my grey chicks. Guessing a BO. Tail looks wispy and poofy, no obvious sickle feathers. But there is a definite comb and waddles starting to grow. And this was the one I saw bumping chests with another chick earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are still young but the only definite rooster I see right now is Pink, but in a few weeks their genders should be easier to identify.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My guesses are ... possible roo, can't decide, pullet, possible roo, rooster ... #3 is the only one I really want to say pullet on, #1,2,4 some of those pictures make them look like they have a lot of pink comb/wattle. Were they Black Copper Marans for sure, not Blue? The two blues would have to be orps then.

4. MyLittleRedCoop

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    That was **exactly** my feeling. A whole lotta comb and waddle showing up!! Especially for just over 5 weeks. But then I think to myself, "I can't get 4 out of 5 hatched chicks to turn out to be roosters, can I?!"
    The guy I got them from is a breeder. Each breed was kept in a completely separate, enclosed coop and run. So they are either Black Copper Marans or Blue Orpington. The BCM eggs were a gorgeous deep brown. (And ridiculously hard to candle!!). Though, as I was trying to research sexing suggestions, I have seen that some lines have coloration anomalies that randomly show up, so I guess nothing is completely set in stone...? I'm not breeding for show. I just wanted a colorful egg basket! :)
    Thanks for your answers, both of you!

5. chickens4life66

chickens4life66 New Egg

Apr 9, 2014
    they look cute and how old are they[​IMG]

6. MyLittleRedCoop

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks! They are now 7 1/2 months old.
    Green and orange are both pullets. They are the Black Copper Marans. They both lay gorgeous dark brown eggs, with just a little speckling.
    Purple is a black Orpington pullet.
    Yellow is a beautiful blue Orpington pullet.
    They are both laying, now, too.
    And pink turned out to be a blue Orpington roo. He's huge, and my older roos don't mind him, so I have kept him.
    Can't believe I got lucky enough to get 4 pullets out of 5 hatched eggs!!
    Is that a BCM roo on your profile pic? He's beautiful!

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I didn't look at the date you posted, but figured you had only one cockerel in that bunch. LUCKY!!!! For me it usually ends up the other way. LOL The first 8 Welsummers I hatched this year were cockerels. I was going to start pulling my hair out if I didn't get any pullets coming, then this last hatch I had better than half that were.

So, LittleRed, where in MN are you? I am down by Rochester. Are you on the Minnesota group here? If not, come on over!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by