1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing BR x Light Brahmas by head spot ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by giasmom, May 17, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Will the head spot method also work on X breeds ? I have BR hens & light Brahma roo. My chicks are still hatching as I type. A couple have very definate head spots & one has the softer edged head spot. Do you think there is a chance this method could be acurite with my chicks? Won't be able to post pics today, maybe tomorrow. Still just curious?

BTW : all chicks have the classic BR coloring.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

To a degree, but it's less definite that way. I did just successfully sex BR over Ameraucana chicks, but a couple were really hard to tell.

3. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Thank you SpeckledHen, Also would the feathered feet from the Brahma be more dominate in either sex ? & or could I use the leg coloring to sex these X's ?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, you can get leg feathering or no leg feathering in a Brahma cross. Doesn't seem to vary by sex, either. I've had several Blue Orp/Buff Brahma crosses and both usually have leg feathers.
    Here is a male from that cross:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Female from that cross.
    [​IMG]

They should all have pea combs or modified pea combs.

5. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Great, Thanks so much for your replies. Have a wonderful day !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by