Sexing Brahma chicks

FirstTimeBYC

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
Hi all,
We are new to BYC and we just started our flock with 4 hens : one Speckled Sussex, one Easter Egger and two Brahmas (a buff and a gold laced).
We clearly notice that the Brahma are feathering much much slower than the other breeds.
While we were sold 4 hens, we are concerned now that the Brahma might be cockerels.
I put the Speckled Sussex picture for comparison.
They are all 3 weeks old.
Any expert that could help us?
Let me know if you need more specific pictures of the Brahmas.

Gold lace Brahma.jpg
Buff Brahma.jpg
Speckle Sussex.jpg

Thank you both.
What are the signs I should look at to identify their sex?
Tail feather shape?

My light Brahma chicks are two weeks older than the other chicks but have about the same amount of feathers as their little sisters. All are sexed pullets, which means that I *might* have male in the bunch but not likely.

My light Brahma chicks are two weeks older than the other chicks but have about the same amount of feathers as their little sisters. All are sexed pullets, which means that I *might* have male in the bunch but not likely.

How were they sexed?

One thing I learned about sexing Brahmas is feathering speed.
Females feather fast, males feather slowly.
I understand. That's my problem since I only have one chick per breed, I can't do this... unless there is a standard feathering chart available somewhere to compare to.

At this time the only info I found was to wait for tail feathers to see if they are pointy or round and to check the redness of the comb. Yet without comparison/experience it is not easy.

I understand. That's my problem since I only have one chick per breed, I can't do this... unless there is a standard feathering chart available somewhere to compare to.

At this time the only info I found was to wait for tail feathers to see if they are pointy or round and to check the redness of the comb. Yet without comparison/experience it is not easy.
You'll have to wait about 13 weeks to know for sure then.

Back
Top Bottom