1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Bronze Ridleys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LadyBirdsPalace, Jun 28, 2011.

1. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Hi there!

I have 6 of the little monsters and they are about 2 months old. I have seen them puff up a few times but because they are SO identical I can't tell if it's the same ones doing it or everybody.

The only distinquishing feature is that 5 have the black tail feathers and one has the tail feathers that are the same colour as the rest of her (I say her cause she's the only one not getting a very red head the last few days)...would you say that I have only one lady? Or does that not mean anything?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question...guess I could have tried googling the answer.

My knowledge of turkeys is pretty much nil, these are my first and I really enjoy them - super funny. They're like puppies!

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I'm glad your enjoying your turkeys. They are fun. Eight weeks can still be iffy for sexing birds. If you put up pictures in another 2 or three weeks, people will be able to make some reasonable guesses...but don't count on them all being right!

3. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Thank you!

I was out bugging everyone cleaning this AM, and two of the little farts have BRIGHT red heads they've acquired the last maybe two or three days, they were puffing up over nothing so I know 2 are toms for sure.

3 have somewhat reddish heads and then the one is still looking the same as it always has.

I will do that though, post some pictures in a couple weeks. For now all anyone is doing is still peeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by