Sexing? Buff and Light Sussex & Plymouth Rock (Pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KnightNic, Sep 21, 2011.

1. KnightNic

KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    I have 6 x 4 week old chicks which I am growing very attached to. Unfortunately the council doesn't allow roosters in my area so I was always prepared to find a home for any roos but I'm starting to worry over how many are going to turn out males!

I adore these little guys and girls and hoped you might let help give me an idea of sexing so I know who I can get really attached to and who I should not get my heart set on (it's already happened, so I'm hoping to minimise the sadness when they have to go elsewhere when they start crowing).

I presume I have one male and female with the Buff Sussex:
    [​IMG]

My Light Sussex are super awesome and I adre their personality. I'm confused over these two. I'm certain they are the same sex (whichever it is) because they are identical in size and behaviour. Totally crazy and hyperactive with lots of jumping and flying. They love to scape their brooder and also enjoy pushing other chickens out of it...I suspect they're mean little boys from their behaviour but their combs are only slightly pink/red thought their wattles are quite red.

Chicken #1
    [​IMG]
    &
    [​IMG]

Chicken #2
    [​IMG]
    &
    [​IMG]

Plymouth Rocks are my favourite cuties and I'm desperately hoping they're both female. They're developing later than the sussex's so it might be a bit early to tell. Their fluff was grey and black but feathers are black...if that helps.

Moa:[​IMG]

Emu: [​IMG]

And just for the cuteness:
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    First picture, looks like you are correct, one cockerel & one pullet.

I'm confused with your Barred Rocks. For *me* the feathers look to light to be pullets. It is hard to tell with your photos.

Did you buy your chicks as a straight run? Did you hatch them?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Your Barred Rocks can be sexed at any age honestly, but the thing is, you don't have too helpful of photos. Is the barring on any lighter than the others or the same? When you got them as chicks, was its white dot on the head of any the same size as the others or bigger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by