Sexing Buff Brahmas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wax Myrtle, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Wax Myrtle

Wax Myrtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Galivants Ferry, SC
    I've got two 1 week old chicks from Meyer. One is slightly larger than the other, and still has only the tips of primaries in. The other, slightly smaller, has nearly all wing feathers in, growing shoulder coverts and popping tail feather out. FWIW, the larger chick is darker in color than the smaller. These were sent as replacements for another breed that hatched poorly. I was told they only had females available. I would, however, love a pair.

Do Brahmas typically differ by gender with their feathering speed? I know time will tell, but I'm impatient. :lol:

Sorry no pics as yet. My internet access is slower than dial up here in the boonies. :eyeroll:

2. Wax Myrtle

Sep 17, 2012
    Galivants Ferry, SC
    Forgot my question. :rolleyes: Any likelihood of the slow feathering chick being male?

3. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely. I too purchased 2 buff brahmas from a hatchery, and knew within 2 weeks that 1 was a cockerel. I have had many roos and by far, the brahma roo was the slowest to feather. He was a 6 week old chick still covered in down(with only wing feathers). My stupidity killed him, because I only accounted for his age, and not feather development in the spring when I moved them out from the heat lamp.He lasted 2 days. Don't make that mistake!!

4. Wax Myrtle

Sep 17, 2012
    Galivants Ferry, SC
    Okay, good. I'll keep hoping. ;)

And I take your warning about sending too nekkid chicks outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by