Sexing Buff Orp Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm just curious. I ordered a B.O. pullet from Ideal, and ended up with 13 B.O. packing peanuts too. I've noticed that my pullet and a few of the others have little reddish dots on their heads. Does this have anything to do with their sex?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. dustysangel

dustysangel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Springfield
    That may be their indicator mark for sorting. When you pull out their little wings a pullet will have wing feathers 2 lengths and the cockrel will be one length. I know someone else has had a thread on this.

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:OK, I'm a little confused. You ordered just 1 and they sent you 13 more for packing peanuts. Were they all in the same compartment of the shipping box? How do you know which one is the pullet? They sometime mark the sex for you with different color paint marks, but, they usually don't send pullets as packing peanuts. So, if they told you that they were going to mark your pullet for you, you may have got lucky and ended up with some freebies.[​IMG]

4. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I asked at the feed store when I got some new BO baby pullets and he said they vent sex the Buff Orps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by