Sexing Buff Orp chicks (Pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meriruka, Jan 25, 2009.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I've got 7 that hatched on 1/6. I'm trying to learn how to sex them.
    I think this one is a boy:[​IMG]

And this is a girl:[​IMG]

Two have the bigger combs (like pic one)
    Three have short tails (like pic two)

What signs should I be looking for?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I think it may still be early yet, but as far as I can tell I would agree with you.

3. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Its to early for me to tell but, they are sure cute!! [​IMG]

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    That 1st one has some thick legs.

5. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    So, you think I need to wait another few weeks?

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I think so. I have had several that I was positive that were pullets that turned out to be late developing cockerels and one that is 16 weeks old that I'm still guessing on. In fact, I was positive at one point that one chick was a pullet until at 15 weeks old "she" grew a comb, wattles, hackles, and a saddle. Time will tell. Good luck!

7. jkirby

jkirby New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    IF this breed is like the commercial broilers my family grew for years, you can tell by the wings; the first one looks like a male because it has longer ones going back nearly to his tail. The 2nd one looks like a female because of the shorter stubby wings. Like I said, I don't know about this breed, but it held true for my RI's. We were able to tell within a week that we had received 2 roosters when we had only ordered one from our feedstore. I didn't think it was too bad considering we ordered 25 pullets and 1 rooster. We got them as one day olds and they are now 8 mos. Maybe someone else with more knowledge of this particular breed can tell us if this is true with these .

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Where'd you get them? Are their legs as yellow as they look in those pics? Orps have white legs.

9. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    They do have odd colored legs, unless it's just the dim lighting?

My buff orps were pretty easy to sex--the roosters had rapidly growing combs and wattles that were very red by 5 or 6 weeks and the pullets had smaller combs and wattles that were very light pink/yellow. I think for your chicks it's a few weeks too early to guess! Post some more pictures in a couple weeks with a good view of their combs. [​IMG]

10. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    The legs are much paler than in the pic. I think some of the red from the brooder lamp is showing up......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by