Sexing Buff Orpingtons.... help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wjallen05, Apr 24, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    We have 7 straight run Buff Orpington chicks. They are around 4 weeks old now. I have noticed that only one of them has big poofy tail feathers, while the other 6 do not. Is this because it is one male and the rest are pullets? Or is this just a coincidence?
    We also have 3 straight run Amaraucanas. All three have large tail feathers as well, and are more aggressive. Are they all males? Or is it too soon to tell?
    TIA

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you can post pictures it helps. [​IMG]

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I can usually only tell by comb growth, by four weeks you can usually see a little bit of growth and a tiny bit of pink or red. Mine had small wattles by then too. I knew at four weeks that two of my five orp chicks were boys. Good luck!!

4. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I agree with redfeathers, you'll notice more of a comb and wattles on a male buff. My male buffs started crowing at 5 weeks, so that may help you figure it out, too. I've also noticed my Americana/EE's are more aggressive in general than other breeds I've raised, so I don't think that necessarily means they're male, just fiesty. [​IMG]

5. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I've got 10 buff orp chicks that are six weeks old, that were bought as sexed hens.

You could tell at 4 weeks that one was a rooster, he had a pronounce red comb and waddles.

[​IMG]

Seem him hiding in the left corner. I guess 90% is pretty good on sexing.

I'll get another picture this afternoon, it is even more obvious now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Thanks!! All of mine pretty much look the same... they are either all males or all females.
    (please, God, not all males...)

Here is a pic of one, it had the largest comb, but really they all look about like that. Doesn't seem red to me? I guess it's hard to compare when they all look the same.

[​IMG]

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    If that is a pic at four weeks, it's a girl. IMHO

8. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Oh gosh I hope so!!! Cause all 7 of them look just like that, only the other 6 have slightly smaller combs.

I was hoping for atleast one boy... but 7 girls is deffinetly better than 7 boys!

I hope you're right! [​IMG]

(oh and they are more like 3 1/2 weeks, going on 4...)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  9. pred

pred New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    I believe you may have 1 pullet and the rest cockerels. I bought 25 pullets and received an "extra" who I believe is a rooster. He is smaller (at 3 weeks) and his wings and tail feathers are much shorter. I read that at about 4 weeks,his comb will start to be more prominent. Mine are now 3 weeks with the combs about the same. Are the wings significantly longer on the one?

10. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by