1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SCumbley, Sep 11, 2016.

1. SCumbley

SCumbley New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Hi All, my chicks are still only six weeks old so it is probably too soon to tell but I am starting to notice differences between them. It could just be me as I never raised from chicks before. Am I imaging it? Anyone got any ideas?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

A bit young to be sure but I'd guess cockerel.

3. SCumbley

SCumbley New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Which one? Photos are three separate chicks, sorry should've been clearer. Hopefully not all three. I think maybe the one in the bottom photo could be as his crop is getting redder and its very fiesty compaired to the other two.

4. SCumbley

SCumbley New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Which one? Photos are three separate chicks, sorry should've been clearer. Hopefully not all three. I think maybe the one in the bottom photo could be as his crop is getting redder and its very fiesty compaired to the other two.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

OK, that's why they looked a bit different. I was going largely off photo number three. Pullets just shouldn't have that much red yet. The others combs aren't in very good light so I wouldn't really say anything for sure on them.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    #3 is definitely a cockerel

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

@SCumbley Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Did you get those as straight run?

I agree, #3 is a cockerel. I think 1 is a pullet and #2 may also be a pullet, unless you see their waddles big and red like 3. But I don't see them in the pic.

Cute babies!

8. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.

Still too young to be certain but it looks like numbers 1 and 3 are cockerels and number 2 is your pullet.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    no. 3 is a cockerel

10. SCumbley

SCumbley New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Hi,

They are very cute, I'm already so attached to them and yes I got them as straight run. I'm hoping the chick in photo 3 is the only cockerel by sheer luck. Just a shame I'd already named them and number 3 just happens to be "Dolly Parton", may have to change it to "Wally Parton" I think [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by