1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Bunnies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Becky89*, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Hi I am really confused when it comes sexing my bunnies. My feed dealer usually does it for me and Mike is always in a hurry. I guess what I am trying to say is I want to learn how to do it.

What do I look for as the difference? Please help me any information will be greatly appreciated. I want to start breeding more mini rex and rex rabbits. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bufforps

bufforps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    NC
  3. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Hello im still new to sexing rabbits to its easier to do when there 13wks or older but when there younger its kind of hard. I dont know how old your bunnies are but the boys will be like a volcano with a little hole on top the girls will be a slit. I know i started sexing my bunnies at 2 wks every week they looked different one week i though i had a girl then a boy. Finialy i decided girl for sure on one maybe boy on the other i had a friend come over that had been raising rabbits for 6 year she told i was pushing to softly and to push a bit harder. She showed me and they were both boys errr See if mike can take a minute to show you its always nice to have a live demonstration if you want try to sex them before he does so you can see if your doing it right.

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    It takes practice and then we still sometimes get it wrong. I don't even start trying until the kits are 4 weeks old. Boys will have a round shape and girls will be more oval. Yeah big difference! You have to practice not to tug or that can change the shape. Check often.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yes, just keep looking often. You will learn how to see the differences- do you know how to do the actual process? Or are you just confused what to look for one you are to that point?

6. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    Hold the bunny in one hand with the ears between your pointer and your middle finger. Put your thumb around the bunnys chin. This is an easy way to hold the baby bunnys to sex. Locate the bunnies genitailia(sp?) and slowly, barely, pull back to see the opening. The girls will have a slit, or a line. The boys will be a circle. If you pull back too much or too hard the girls slit will look like a circle. so open just till you see what you have. I am asuming this is for "baby" bunnies >2 or 3 weeks old. Good luck!!

7. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Quote:I've always held the bunnies and mike has done the rest I doubt I'd even know where to start.

I try and sex my bunnies the same week I take them away from their mommy!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by