Sexing Button Quail Chicks

pimovietc

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
Hi all,

I'm looking for help in identifying the mutation/gender of my button quail. I keep mostly Gouldians and some other finches in a large outdoor aviary with a pair of button quail to have some activity at ground level. I've had multiple pairs over the years (by happenstance different mutations every time), until this year they never successfully hatched/raised a clutch by themselves. Long story short I was excited when this new pair (last year) started laying and brooding!

Fast forward a few weeks and I'm unsure about the genders of the reared chicks. They're currently 5 weeks old to a day.
Mom is a red-breasted split for silver (I assume the split, based on the chicks' colorings).
Dad is a red-breasted silver? (He looks like a silver with a red belly)

So far I assumed that I'd be able to identify the 3 "silver" chicks as soon as their head feathers would grow, i.e. will they have a bib or not. They're not there yet but I believe they're all females. If any of you have insights to ID please let me know!

The last chick I was convinced it was a red-breasted female until I noticed these red feathers at its flanks. Any clue what gender/mutation this is? (It has a dark head due to its chick coloration, if you look at the silver ones they also dont have their adult head plumage yet!)
qual_sexing_wk5.png

qual_sexing_wk3.png

qual_sexing_wk2.5.png

Hi all,

I'm looking for help in identifying the mutation/gender of my button quail. I keep mostly Gouldians and some other finches in a large outdoor aviary with a pair of button quail to have some activity at ground level. I've had multiple pairs over the years (by happenstance different mutations every time), until this year they never successfully hatched/raised a clutch by themselves. Long story short I was excited when this new pair (last year) started laying and brooding!

Fast forward a few weeks and I'm unsure about the genders of the reared chicks. They're currently 5 weeks old to a day.
Mom is a red-breasted split for silver (I assume the split, based on the chicks' colorings).
Dad is a red-breasted silver? (He looks like a silver with a red belly)

So far I assumed that I'd be able to identify the 3 "silver" chicks as soon as their head feathers would grow, i.e. will they have a bib or not. They're not there yet but I believe they're all females. If any of you have insights to ID please let me know!

The last chick I was convinced it was a red-breasted female until I noticed these red feathers at its flanks. Any clue what gender/mutation this is? (It has a dark head due to its chick coloration, if you look at the silver ones they also dont have their adult head plumage yet!)
View attachment 2749457
View attachment 2749490
View attachment 2749492
4 female just like the mom the rest need time my guess, they look like the dad's morph but that morph can be male or female

Red and blue always mean male. Since you say there's red, it's probably something along the lines of a Male Silver-Tuxedo-Red Breasted Pied Chick. I've had one! And posted asking it. Unfortunately buttons genes can mix to make a ton of varieties

You can see the red/brown feathers in the 4th chick clearly on the 5 week picture (before that I hadn't noticed them).

Speaking about gene mixing and tons of varieties, Gouldians ain't that much easier! Red/Black/Yellow headed, Purple/Lilac/White breasted, Green/Blue/Yellow/White backed in all combinations imaginable.

Wow. I never knew that much a bout finches.

P.S. I am officially an Idiot. :he

It is actually possible that 4 is just a juvenile male redbreasted and will just grow adult male colors I think... SORRY!!!

Chick number 3 is starting to show a bib, so that appears to be a rooster.

Chick number 4 appears to a male after all, is to me it looks like what I've seen described as "Darth Vader" with slightly more white on the back! Is that correct?
IMG_20210716_162838.jpg

Yeah, I warrant you're right. The Darth Vader is Redbreasted combined with golden pearl. Chicks are much like the Redbreasted, but sometimes darker faced. I probably should have predicted darth vader in the first place :p

These are one of my red breasted and one darth vaders respectively

Attachments

• IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 18
Yeah, I warrant you're right. The Darth Vader is Redbreasted combined with golden pearl. Chicks are much like the Redbreasted, but sometimes darker faced. I probably should have predicted darth vader in the first place :p

These are one of my red breasted and one darth vaders respectively
Yeah it looked really similar to your DarthVader chick when it was younger. I currently another two of those buggers running around + another handful of those silvers!

Back
Top Bottom